9/11/2008

"Never Forget".....Remembering 9/11

As I watched Fox News this morning, I couldn't help but cry. I do this every year on Sept. 11th. I cry not only because I'm such an emotional person, but I still remember the terror on that day, and I always will. I cry because I see the tears in the family members eyes of the victims/heroes of that day. I think of all those left behind, never getting to say goodbye to those they loved so dearly. I think of all the heroes of Flight 93 that crashed in Shanksville, PA. I can't imagine what they must have been feeling as they charged the cockpit, to stop the terrorists from destroying more lives. They are true HEROES! John McCain was in Shanksville this morning speaking about those Heroes. I wish I could remember John McCain's exact words but they were something like this: "there is no greater love than the sacrifice made by giving your own life for others, except God's love." That is so true. As Todd Beamer said "Let's Roll", he wasn't thinking about himself. Those wonderful people on board Flight 93 knew they needed to stop the horrible terrorist from hurting our country more. And that's exactly what they did.
The beautiful Pentagon Memorial was unveiled today. I thought it was very reflective. The memorial is made up of benches with the names of the victims who were on the flight that crashed into the Pentagon, and those that lost their lives in the Pentagon. Those victims range in ages from 3 to 71 and the benches are in chronological order. There are "waters of life" under those benches with a reflective light. There were specific maple trees planted close to the benches which turn a symbolic bright red in September. I think this is the first completed memorial since the 9/11 attacks. I think they did a great job with it.

I remember exactly where I was when I heard what happened on that day and what I was doing. I remember everything I did on that day. I'm sure you all do as well. I remember being very scared on that day the days that followed. Brian was 8 hours away from me at school training for his new job from July through December of that year. I came home to an empty house, watched the news coverage, and prayed. I prayed for all the victims and their families, the troops that were being called overseas, the President, and for our country to be safe.

I know a lot of people like to "bash" our President, George W. Bush. But I applaud him. No other US President has been faced with that kind of terror attack on our own soil. Thankfully, we have a president that stood up to the terrorists and is still standing up to them, and standing up for US! He did what he did because he loves this great country, and he doesn't want to ever see that happen again. Thank you President Bush for all that you have done for this country. It is because of the president and all of our Military, that I feel safer today than I did 7 years ago.
My prayers are with all the family and friends of the vicitms of 9/11, and those still dealing with medical issues as a result. My prayers are with this country, all the military members and their families, and with the upcoming election. I pray this country will elect a President that will continue to STAND UP to the terrorists that threaten us.
Let us all "NEVER FORGET"....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have such a way with words...very touching!

Jenny said...

Great blog...I totally agree with you Kristi. I hope people will elect a president that hasn't forgotten and will continue to protect our country like Bush has. I think he handled all he was given during his presidency better than anyone else ever could. He was dealt with a lot and has done a great job. I pray for the families as well, I just can't imagine the anguish they went through that day.

Caren said...

Kristi,

Your thoughts were so well conveyed on that post...very moving. I will never forget that day and I agree that the Memorial that was unveiled at the Pentagon is very moving and wonderful....a real shame that the other sites have not been able to select an appropriate memorial 7 years after this horrible tragedy.

Carrie Vitale said...

I couldn't have written this any better! Beautiful tribute!