2/18/2009

Trying to Simplify....

Lately I have been feeling like I am never at home and not taking care of things around the home as much as I should. A lot of this has to do with poor planning, too much time on the computer, and always being on the go. I love being a "stay at home mom", but lately we haven't been staying home much! There is always something on the calendar. I am not complaining about that because I love to GO (unless it's to a dr.'s appo, which I feel like I have to go to too much)! I love to get out and see people, and let Nathan experience new things, have fun outdoors, etc. I love that we have the opportunity to go a lot, have things on the calendar to do, have lots of friends, and are able to go. However, I am also one of those people who feels guilty if there is something on the calendar and we don't go. I am working on this personality "flaw".

I also enjoy staying at home, cooking breakfast, Nathan and I chatting over our quiet, not rushed, breakfast, and I enjoy drinking my coffee while playing with Nathan in the mornings.
I enjoy planning our meals for the week, making shopping lists, eating lunch outside on the patio when it's pretty out, (Nathan always says this is us "having a picnic"). I enjoy my quiet time while Nathan naps, or has his quiet time. I also enjoy cooking dinner, my husband getting home, and all of us sitting down to eat dinner together.

So I guess what I'm saying is I enjoy BOTH these things, going AND staying at home. I just need to find the right balance. After a couple of days staying at home, I'm ready to get out and do something, whether it's just going to Target, the park, the bounce house, or dinner with friends...I'm ready to go. And after being gone somewhere everyday for 7 days straight, I'm ready to stay at home for a few days and relish our home life. I enjoy the simple, everyday things I get to do with my son.
Lately I have really been reading up on simple mom's blog. I love her blog! I love to cook, but lately I haven't done a good job at planning our meals so I feel rushed when dinner rolls around. So her post http://simplemom.net/how-to-menu-plan/ has helped a lot with that. They are simple things that most of us already know, but just don't do. So it encourages me to do these things to make life more simple.

I also recently joined a "cooking co-op". There are 6 of us and we each prepare 6 of the same dish (2 people do a chicken dish, 2 beef, 1 pork, and 1 seafood/vegetarian), then we get together twice a month and exchange our meals. We end up w/ 6 main dishes each time that we can freeze and use whenever, so far it has been good! I think this will help simplify my menu planning. I have the main dish, I just need to come up with sides. Simple!

Now, if I could just come up with a way to simplify our laundry!!!! HA!!

What about you, what are some things you do to simplify your life? Comment or post a blog about it, I would love to read it!!

Nathan enjoying his heart shaped pancakes Valentine's morning

5 comments:

emily freeman said...

I can so relate with this post. Going...but staying home...even GO GO Going while AT home. I'm a fan of Simple Mom too.

And I'm glad you re-found Chatting at the Sky! Welcome back.

Stephanie Trapp said...

I could use some simplifying myself! With a new baby, I'm feeling very overwhelmed these days. I keep thinking there's got to be an easier way to get things accomplished but I just can't seem to find it. I need to check out the Simple Mom website!

Jaime said...

Ha ha...lately, my version of simplifying is not doing much housework. :) Fortunately, Ross does not really notice or care.

Recently, we joined a new gym with great childcare. It has helped because we both needed to get off our butts but it was hard not having somewhere to take Reid while we were doing it. So far, we are loving it - Reid is happy, we are exercising more... which is a good thing!

Do you read Fiddledeedee's blog? It's all about saving n groceries, primarily at Publix. She does all the work for you - check it out... fiddledeedeebog.blogspot.com.

Maggie Pelton said...

I couldn't agree more! I've loved living a simpler life lately! I've found that planning a time to plan (sounds funny) is really helpful for me to stay on track. I can't wait to get my meals from Holly! I hope the lasagna turns out despite the power failure!!

The Terrys said...

I don't have kids, but I think this still applies. I have the very same problem! I love to go and love to be at home and can't find balance. I need to work on this. With school, work, case loads and trying to find time to spend at home, I need to learn this now before the kids come! thanks for posting!