1/19/2008
Running....
So, I need some help! What's up with all the running?? My 2 1/2 yr. old wants to run ALL the time! I understand it's great exercise and all, but when I tell him to stop he DOESN'T listen?? I need to know what you other moms out there have done for this! It's ok when we're outside in the fenced in backyard, or at another contained area where he can't get lost or into trouble. But he chooses to run when he doesn't need to, like away from me in a busy aquarium, or through the church hallway, in the driveway towards the road, etc. I look around and see other kids his age not running, and stopping when their moms tell them to, so what's up w/ my child?? Where did I go wrong?? He's gotten in trouble many times for running and not stopping when I tell him to, but he continues to do it, and he knows he's not supposed to! Like I said earlier, I know he's a toddler and they like to run and see what they can get away with. I'm just a nervous wreck at times thinking he will get hurt or someone will grab him. So, I need some solutions that worked with your children in getting them to listen when you told them to stop! Any ideas?? :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
Sorry - I have NO solution for you, mine was EXACTLY the same way - it's SO frustrating, especially when you see other kids NOT doing this. One thing that I did was started carrying a back-pack style purse/bag instead of a diaper bag, so you have your hands free to hold onto him. I also had one of those kid leashes for him, although only used it twice because hubby was ENRAGED that I even bought it and told me NEVER to put it on his child. WEll, living in DC and in a busy museum, yes, I put it on my child and swore everyone with us to secrecy and told them I'd haunt them if they took pics of my child with it on, but it kept him safe and with me. Good luck! Girl, I feel for you - aren't our boys just the greatest!!! Good news is that I was SKINNY during this period from always running after him ;)
Well,Kristi....as u know I can't help u on this one either...I think it's just the stage....at least that's what I'll blame it on. I am persistant on holding his hand in a parking lot and he is good about that, but when we get out of the car he wants to run down the street too! I have been trying to give him something to do as he gets out of the car such as getting the mail, or giving him the keys to the house so he can try opening the door...just a little something to keep his mind occupied for a minute, and if he runs off...he immediately gets disciplined. But what else can we do, except hope that this stage doesn't last too long!!
Thanks for the advice girls!! I hope it's just a phase!! I've been trying to let him run as much as possible when it's ok for him to run!!
Post a Comment